Exp Values for Dummies

New to the game? Have any questions about the game that were not addressed in the FAQ or the Questions Page? Ask them here
Forum rules
Please do check if your question is already answered in the FAQ or the Questions Page

And use proper titles that are helpful to other people looking for an answer to the same question
d1g1t
DelugeRPG Admin

Exp Values for Dummies

Post by d1g1t »

Remember: Speculating exp values or asking people to on the forums is not allowed.

This is simply going to explain how you can calculate 'exp values' for pokemon by yourself. Remember the calculated value will be different for each person. (Example values used here will not be realistic)

First determine how long it takes for you (not others) to train a certain amount of exp. Say 1 million or 5.
Lets say you can do 2 million exp in one hour.

Now try to estimate how long it would take for you (not others) to catch the pokemon you are trying to calculate the value for.
Lets say it takes you 10 hours to get that pokemon (this will depend on how specific you are trying to be. 'a retro legend' will be easier than 'a retro zekrom')

Multiply the exp per hour you can do, and the number of hours you think you need to get that pokemon. In our hypothetical scenario, the pokemon's value is roughly 20 million (10x2million).
If someone asks you 15million exp for that pokemon, that is a good price for you. That is a bad price for someone who needs 5 hours to find that pokemon but has same training speed (5x2million), or trains slower but hunts at the same speed as you (10x1million). Similarly, 25 million exp can be a fair price for someone who trains faster or catches slower, but not for you.

How can I use this to calculate this for other people?
You can't really. People will typically lie about how long it takes them to train if they know this is what you're using it for. They will lie differently when bragging how fast they train. You might too. It's also not possible to know how long it takes someone to catch that pokemon. You can use the publogs to get a general idea. (See Misc Menu > Hidden features in game to learn how to filter publogs)

Why am I not allowed to ask the values on the forums?
The same way you cannot calculate a fair value for others, they cannot calculate it for you. Anyone who is looking for that same pokemon or trying to trade that pokemon has reasons to lie to you. Even if everyone replying was fair and neutral, they would still have to determine that value based on their own training/hunting speeds which may not be applicable to you.

I get my values from Discord/Facebook!
They will have the same problems stated above.

Isn't the discord one sort of semi-official?
No. People can lie there too. The person replying could be a friend of the person you're trading with.

I don't care! I just want someone else to tell me!
Then use whatever value the person you are trading with you says.

But the value that person said is unfair!!
Then you do care!

I just want a random person to tell me the value! I don't care if it's a friend of the person I am trading with or the same person using a different name.
That's fine. Just don't use the forums for it.

I am not happy with the rates other people tell me. I want official exp rates from the admin!
I believe the max price for any pokemon, no matter how many stats it has or how many of it exist in the game, is 1 million exp. As for 'Uniques', nothing is worth more than the trade limit on one pokemon.
This is the 'official rate' according to me, the admin. You don't have to follow it. It's just here if you ever wished there was an official rate.

I dislike that even more! You've made it worse!
Sometimes that's how life is.

Why can't the admin sit down, think and write down the values of every single one of the 10k pokemon we have now?
Firstly, it's a waste of time. Because you still may not like it. Everything might be valued less than what you got it for.
Secondly, these worths have a lot to do with the person that decides for the reasons stated earlier. As the admin, I don't need to train pokemon. I can simply create the pokemon I want. So that's worth 0 exp to me. I could try to train exp and measure the time it takes me, but I won't have the same motivations as someone who actually wants to do it. Even a pokemon with 500million exp is worth zero exp to me. That makes me the least qualified person to decide values for others.

That is why I have refrained from doing so until now. But too many people seem to think that's the magic solution (as evidenced by the exp tax debate). That is why I've posted the new 'official value' above. It's not meant to be a joke. It's an example of the admin setting a value you don't like, that you're going to ignore anyway.

I must receive more Exp for my pokemon than what I paid!
No, you do not. If you paid a certain amount of exp because there was only one of that pokemon in the game, the its price should halve when another gets caught. It should keep going down when more of those get caught.
That is why it's a dumb idea to make your valuations around how many of a pokemon there are in the game, and the game tells you that. Except right after a maintenance when inactive and banned accounts get deleted, the pokemon numbers will only go up, which means prices based on 'rarity' will only go down.

But what about my profits?
You should not expect to make profits from dumb investments.
Last edited by d1g1t on Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 9 times in total.